Southern Arizona | We've Got You Covered
Home   |

Aunt’s boyfriend arrested after missing Dallas 18-month-old found dead

DALLAS (KXAS) – Dallas police say they have arrested a 27-year-old man and charged him with felony injury to a child in connection with the death of Cedrick Jackson, an 18-month-old boy reported missing Wednesday morning.

Dallas police said Thursday afternoon they recovered the remains of a small child from a landfill Thursday morning, but that those remains have not been positively identified.

Sedrick Johnson, Cedrick Jackson/ NBC 5

“We regret to inform you that the Dallas Police Department has located the remains of a small child who we believe to be 18-month-old Cedrick Jackson, pending a positive identification,” said Maj. Vincent Weddington, with the Dallas Police Department. “This is not the outcome we had hoped for and we want to extend our deepest sympathies to the family at this time.”

Weddington said officers discovered the remains at a landfill in Rowlett after obtaining a confession from 27-year-old Sedrick Johnson, the boyfriend of Jackson’s aunt, Crystal Jackson, who had temporary custody of the child.

Child Protective Services confirmed to NBC 5 Thursday morning that six additional children, from ages 6 to 10, have been removed from Crystal Jackson’s home. CPS said two of the children belonged to her and the other four belonged to her Johnson.

Johnson, police said, confessed to moving the child’s body from an apartment to a dumpster in Northeast Dallas. When officers searched the dumpster, it was empty. Officers then learned that the dumpster had been emptied twice at a landfill in Rowlett — that’s where police said they found a child’s remains at about 11 a.m. Thursday. The statewide Amber Alert was discontinued a short time later.

Police said Johnson has been charged with injury to a child causing serious bodily injury, felony one.

Weddington said investigators have not yet determined how or when the child died. That determination, as well as confirming the identity of the remains, will be made by the Dallas County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Additional charges are possible, police said, based on the outcome of the coroner’s report.

According to Dallas police’s Maj. Max Geron, Crystal Jackson called 911 Wednesday morning and reported the boy missing, saying she believed he was in danger. She said she put him to bed at about 11 p.m. and that he wasn’t in his room when she went to check on him at 6 a.m.

Check back and refresh this page for the latest update. As this story is developing, elements may change. NBC 5’s Ken Kalthoff, Allie Spillyards, Eline de Bruijn, Brian Roth, Chris Blake and Matt Jackson contributed to this report.

NBC News

NBC News

Scroll to top
Skip to content