TUCSON - You know the saying, "Don't let the bed bugs bite"? Well, Tucson City Hall employees no longer have to worry about that after the facility was given a clean bill of health.
In September, a bed bug was found on the third floor. Soon after, additional bed bugs were found.
According to officials, it cost taxpayers nearly $8,000 to get rid of the bugs.
A timeline provided to News 4 Tucson by city hall said on Sept. 30 is where staff and a pest control company identified the problem.
It was on the fourth floor in an office chair.
“We have an employee who had a bed bug issue at their home, they may not have been aware of, " Tucson City Spokesman Andy Squire said. "When they came to work, they ended up transporting some bed bugs inadvertently into their office.”
Squire said the employee was sent home.
“We’re doing everything we can to help that employee address the issue and still get the job done and do their work,” Squire said.
Due to employee privacy, it is not known if the employee has returned to work or if they took care of their bed bug problem. What is known is that other employees around were shifted off the floors where the bugs were found.
“We certainly don't want to have them exposed to either the insects or the chemicals,” Squire said.
Bed bugs are a type of insect that feed on human blood, usually at night. Their bites can result in skin rashes, psychological effects and allergic symptoms.
They are not known to transmit any infectious disease.
The city hired a company to put out monitors on several floors, which helped determine where the bed bugs were located.
On Dec. 5, bed bug detecting dogs inspected floors three, four and five.
“They discovered two dead bugs behind the coving in that fourth-floor office where that problem happened," Squire said. "That was it .”
Just 10 days ago, the timeline showed city hall was inspected and no further actions were needed relating to the bed bugs.