Skip to Content

TPD investigating officer involved shooting in midtown

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

TUCSON — Tucson Police Department is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred in the 200 block of E. Yavapai Road.

Officials say no officers were injured in the incident.

According to Tucson Chief of Police Chris Magnus, officers responded to an aggravated assault related call at an apartment complex at 201 E. Yavapai road around 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Police say the caller advised 911 that he and his girlfriend had been assaulted and were injured inside his apartment.

Officers spoke to neighbors who said they had seen 42-year-old Victor A. Parsons with a firearm.

Officers contained the scene and evacuated the apartment complex and surrounding areas.

"It's one of those things you just don't expect. it's a tough neighborhood but you don't expect a shooting," said Paul Berrellez, who lives in the complex.

TPD SWAT and hostage negotiators arrived on scene and attempted to negotiate with Parsons after he barricaded himself in the apartment and refused to come out without a firearm.

"We had heard just a couple of shots and I have a post-traumatic stress disorder so I couldn't stay around I was having a nervous breakdown," said Skye Milam who lived below Parsons.

Officers learned 36-year-old Samantha A. Boyd was in the apartment with Parsons.

Parsons had reportedly fired multiple rounds in the apartment in the direction of officers outside. At approximately 8:30 p.m. the suspect exited the apartment with a firearm in hand.

Officer Bradley Katherman, an 8-year veteran of the Tucson Police Department, fired his weapon and struck Parsons.

Officers rendered aid, but he was pronounced dead on scene.

Officers entered the apartment where they found Boyd's body with signs of trauma. Boyd is believed to have been Parson's girlfriend.

"It's tragedy because no one walks out on top in the situation, and now you have two people, two families who deal with the loss and nothing was solved you know, nobody was brought to justice. At the end of the day it was just a tragedy," said Berrellez.

This is a developing story, stay with News 4 Tucson for the latest updates.

Author Profile Photo

News 4 Tucson

Skip to content