Southern Arizona | Investigating 4 You
Home   |

Rural/Metro Fire: Electrical safety in the home tips

Fire and smoke on electric wire plug in indoor, electric short circuit causing fire on plug socket / Getty Images

TUCSON – Electrical fires are responsible for over 60 percent of accidental residential fires, according to Rural/Metro Fire Department.

Most of these malfunctions are due to improper use of extension cords and power strips.

Rural Metro wants to remind the community to remember the following safety tips when using electrical equipment:

  1. Remember that extension cords are for temporary use only, such as using a shop Vac for your car or using a string trimmer for your yard. Never use an extension cord for long term use such as a refrigerator.
  2. Never plug an extension cord into a power strip. This can overheat and cause a fire, especially when used with high power loads.
  3. Power strips can only be used for low power such as computers or AV equipment. Never use a power strip for high power loads such as space heaters, microwaves, coffee pots, or refrigerators. This can cause a serious fire in your home or office.
  4. Never run extension cords through ceilings, or staple to walls. Again, they are for temporary use.
  5. Finally, never run any cord under a rug. The cords can fray, get pinched and prevents the cord from releasing heat and could lead to a fire
Julia Leon

Julia Leon

Julia is a Digital Content Producer at News 4 Tucson. She graduated from the University of Arizona with a bachelor’s degree in journalism.
Scroll to top
Skip to content