Skip to Content

N4T Investigators: Family files claim against the city over death of Carlos Adrian Ingram Lopez

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

TUCSON (KVOA) - A multi-million dollar claim has been filed against the City of Tucson and three officers involved in the arrest of a Tucson father earlier this year.

Carlos Adrian Ingram Lopez died while in police custody on April 21.

The claim is filed on behalf of Lopez's 2-year-old daughter, Sophie and on behalf of his estate.

"I don't understand of any way to make this city understand the gravity of the situation other than to take money from the city and give it to Sophie," Greg Kuykendall said.

Kuykendall is one of the attorneys representing Lopez's daughter. The other two are Ted Schmidt and Matthew Schmidt.

They are asking for $10 million from the City of Tucson and $3 million from each of the three officers involved.

"I think it's important to recognize how many millions of dollars they just gave to Tucson police in the budget request in the midst of all this," Kuykendall said.

Family members said Lopez lived for his baby girl. They said his death has left an unfillable void in his family's hearts.

"Hopefully, the city can come up with a method of restructuring the police department and dealing with police brutality on a systematic level," Kuykendall said.

Lopez died in April while handcuffed by officers following a 9-1-1 call from his grandmother. She said Lopez was acting crazy and was under the influence of drugs.

Following an internal investigation in June, the three officers involved resigned before they could be fired.

The city now has 60 days to respond to the claim before a lawsuit can be filed.

Lupita Murillo

Lupita Murillo is an investigative reporter. She is part of the Digging Deeper team that uncovers important issues focusing on crime that affects the community.

Skip to content