Skip to Content

TPD Chief Chris Magnus offers resignation after in-custody death investigation

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

TUCSON (KVOA) – Tucson Police Department Chief Chris Magnus offered his resignation Wednesday after an in-custody death investigation.

Magnus made the announcement during a press conference.

Mayor Regina Romero said she did not know Chief Magnus was going to offer his resignation.

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED: Watch TPD's press conference:

On April 21, Carlos Ingram Lopez, 27, died while in the custody of Tucson Police Department in reference to a disorderly conduct call, according to sources.

The Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner was unable to determine the manner of death of the victim, according to a report released Wednesday.

The autopsy report is available here and toxicology report here

On Tuesday, Chief Chris Magnus said three officers reportedly involved in the case resigned from the department prior to TPD's administrative investigation into the arrest.

The police chief said after the investigation was concluded, TPD would have terminated the officers if they had not resigned.

Read Magnus’ statement HERE.

A personal friend and attorney for his family spoke to News 4 Tucson on their behalf.

"To me, he always had an enormous heart," said Eduardo Coronado, attorney for the victim’s family.  "The family is so traumatized by all this because the 2-year-old little girl is calling for her dad."

RELATED: N4T Investigators: Three police officers resign amid in-custody death investigation

Tucson Mayor Regina Romero announced Tuesday that the scheduled city council meeting would be canceled due to this case.

The council was expected to discuss the city budget, which includes funding for the Tucson Police Department, during this meeting.

The Tucson Police Officers Association released the following statement after the news conference concluded.

Black Lives Matter Tucson also released a statement Wednesday.
Author Profile Photo

News 4 Tucson

Skip to content