How To Make Brode's Baked Brie
· Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400° F
· Place the round of brie in the middle of the pastry. Top with apricot jelly (or with any optional extra toppings - see below). Place the second pie crust on top. Use your hand to gently press the edges and neaten up the sides.
· Bake until the pastry is golden-brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
· Set aside to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. This gives the hot cheese time to firm up a little. Cut into the brie.
· Serve warm. Arrange sliced baguette, crostini or crackers around the brie and serve while warm.
Brode's Baked Brie Variations
· Jam & Brie: Top with a few spoonfuls jam or preserves, like raspberry jam, apricot jam, or jalapeño jelly.
· Honey & Nuts: Top with a few spoonfuls of honey and toasted, chopped nuts, especially walnuts or pecans.
· Cranberry Sauce: Top with a few spoonfuls of store-bought or homemade cranberry sauce.
· Baked Apples: Slice or chop any tart baking apple and cook with butter over low heat until soft and warmed through. Scoop on top of the brie.
· Caramelized Onions: Slowly caramelize one onion over low heat until very brown, soft, and sweet-tasting. You can stir in a few teaspoons of brown sugar or balsamic vinegar if you like. Scoop over the brie.
· Onions & Mushrooms: Caramelize one onion and add chopped or sliced mushrooms in the last half of cooking.