Name of Restaurant: (Chef is volunteer for the American Heart Association- Tucson Division)
Name of Dish: American Heart Association’s recipe for Apple Bread Pudding
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons low-calorie brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves or ground allspice
- 6 slices light, whole-grain, or multigrain bread (lowest sodium available), cubed
- 3 medium apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- ½ cup raisins, unsweetened dried cranberries, fresh or unsweetened dried blueberries, or chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, egg white, brown sugar blend, vanilla, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Stir in the bread, apples, and raisins, cranberries, blueberries, or nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the bread cubes are golden brown.