TUCSON – Today’s Hittin’ the Trails 4 You features the Vault Mine Trail in Madera Canyon!
This hike has beautiful blooms, bird and gorgeous scenery. It has a little bit of everything for hikers but the trek is rugged at times. Even experience hikers recommend taking a hiking stick with you to keep up with the rough terrain. Hikers also mention that it is very steep at times.
It’s about 6.5 miles and you gain 1,400 feet in just a half of a mile of an overall 2,000 feet in elevation gain.
As a result, this trail is rated as difficult. So if you are a beginner you may want to skip this one!
The trail is near Green Valley and is located in Madera Canyon. Below are directions from Speedway and Campbell.
- Take Speedway to the I-10
- Take I-19 towards Green Valley
- Get off on the Continental Exit
- Follow signs southeast about 13 miles to Madera Canyon
- Park at the 5,450-foot trailhead at the end of the main canyon road.