TUCSON (KVOA)- Wearing a face mask in public is part of the new normal during the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, it can be hard sometimes to get children to wear a mask too.
Nationwide Children's Hospital shared tips for parents on how to help kids be more comfortable wearing one in public:
- Put a face mask on a favorite stuffed animal
- Gradually have your child wear the mask for a longer and longer period of time. (The hospital recommends starting with five seconds at a time and then increase to 10 seconds, etc.)
- Parents can also wear a mask in the house to normalize the look
- Have the child take selfies in their mask to see how they look
- Allow your child to dress up to match their mask
- Offer a small reward for wearing the mask, like a treat or screen time
If you would like more tips from Nationwide Children's Hospital, click here.
If you have a question about the coronavirus, email GettingAnswers@KVOA.com.