TUCSON – The Sun Link streetcar will celebrate its 5th Anniversary on Saturday, July 27.
Sun Link will mark the milestone with free rides from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m., sponsored by Rio Nuevo, and special events within the Districts along the streetcar route
All events are open to the public and free to attend. The schedule is below.
9:30 A.M. – 11:00 A.M. – Brunch at Mercado San Agustin, with an acoustic performance by Natty & the Sunset.
11:00 A.M. – Guided tour onboard the streetcar.
- Learn about Sun Link’s 5-year history, plus the growing list of destinations and attractions along the route.
- Board at the Mercado District stop located at Avenida Del Convento/Congress St.
11:30 A.M. – 1:30 P.M. – Sun Link’s party at 8th St. and 4th Ave.
- Meet with Dusty the Roadrunner and the Arizona Avengers, tour the Old Pueblo Trolley, read stories on the streetcar, and dance to music by DJ Alias.
2:00 P.M. – 3:30 P.M. – Story time at the UA BookStore, featuring Pete the Cat, presented by the UA BookStore and UA Parking & Transportation Services.
- Special appearance from Wilbur and the UA Cheer team.
- UA Bookstore is located just south of the 2nd St/Highland streetcar stop.
5:00 P.M. – 7:30 P.M. – Family entertainment and concert at Main Gate Square.
- Face painting and balloon animals with 2-EEE the Clown.
- 6:00 P.M. – performance by Autumn Dominguez Quintet at Gentle Ben’s.
- Main Gate Square is located at the University Blvd/Tyndall Ave. streetcar stop.
The Sun Link streetcar was launched on July 25, 2014 and has since provided approximately 4.77 million rides to passengers.